The Summer Reading Challenge is always one of the highlights of our year at The Globe and we’re happy to announce that the challenge will still go ahead, albeit in a different format. It will be a digital challenge this year, and the good news is that it will run from June to September.
The theme is Silly Squad!
As you know the SRC starts earlier than normal this year on Friday 5th June and will be a digital version.
Children will need to create a free account at the official website https://summerreadingchallenge.org.uk/ to take part in the digital challenge – this sign up is simple but requires approval by an adult (via email). This two-step authentication process for children under the age of 16 is required by law.
This site is not live yet but they hope to have it up a few days before so do keep a look out.
Obviously, as our library is still closed, children are allowed to read their own books/comics this year but we have bought lots of lovely new junior eBooks and eAudiobooks which we can promote along with the challenge – https://northyorks.overdrive.com/library/junior. BUT children can oorder specific books via telephone, Email or Facebook and we can make an appointment for parents too pick them up. See Library by Appointment on this website.
Once we are fully open start it is hoped we can offer age appropriate ‘book bundles’ along with some printed activity sheets for families to collect. Plenty of new stock has been purchased by North Yrkshire Library Service and will be delivered to us as soon as possible.
Launch Day -
The launch day will be celebrated with an extensive ‘Let’s Get Silly!’ programme running from the Summer Reading Challenge’s Facebook page @SummerReading ChallengeUK . The launch will feature special readings, family activities and draw-a-longs from guest celebrities and authors and the following virtual events are confirmed:
- CBBC’s Sam and Mark kick-off the launch with their unique brand of ‘silly’ fun.
- Readings and jokes from authors including David Baddiel, Ben Fogle, Philip Ardagh and Konnie Huq.
- Silliness galore with the BBC’s Katie Thistleton and Hacker T Dog.
- Draw-a-Longs with official Summer Reading Challenge illustrator, Laura Ellen Anderson, and Rob Biddulph.
- Magic Tricks and Mind-Bending Maths with Mr Bates from The Shed School.
- Poetry with performance poet and playwright Joseph Coelho.
- Crafts, colour and creativity with the original queen of colouring, Johanna Basford.
- Bedtime Reading session with actor Charlie Condou reading from This is Gus by Chris Chatterton, published by Macmillan Children’s Books.
- Unveiling of the official ‘Let’s Get Silly!’ theme song by Harry Baker and Chris Read.
Please do share these on your Facebook pages and use the hashtags - #SummerReadingChallenge #SillySquad2020 #LetsGetSill
The SRC team is in the process of organising a programme of activities – hopefully there will be one per week starting from mid-July. More news asap. There will also be lots of activities on the SRC Facebook page to share @SummerReadiingChallengeUK.